By Cornelius Ndubuisi
With the uncertain direction of Nigeria’s economy, and the crazy increase in next to all bills, you don’t want to leave increasing your income to chance. And the first and reliable port of call for help is business.
Anybody can do business. What is business if not taking advantage of opportunities around you? Of course, the number of businesses in existence is uncountable, what makes you think there’s no room for you? There’s plenty of room for everyone, and you can learn it if you think you’re not good at it. Read. See YouTube videos. Call a friend, etc. Mind you, you can make so much from a side hustle that you don’t need a job anymore. And you may be shocked that you’re more cut out for business than anything else.
- Explore the world of writing: Trust me, a life can be made out of writing. A big fat life, I mean. All you need is patience, constant development, and learning the tricks of the trade. You can blog, publish books, write articles, etc. Ghost writing is one hell of a business, too. Do you think celebrities who become authors get there all by themselves? Not usually. Then imagine how much those who help out get. Take this from me: If you mean business, there is business. Speech and correspondence writing is business, too. Money! And remember: Writing, like other skills, can be learnt and developed. And the only way to do that is to write and write and write, and write better today than you wrote yesterday. And the internet has got unbelievably promising resources to support you.
- Service delivery, agency, consultancy: There are many things people are either ignorant of or don’t care about. Do you know what it takes to produce an international passport, driver’s license, or register a business with the Corporate Affairs Commission? Do you know that any ordinary Nigerian can do that? Simple things you have to do to earn cash. Mind you, you’re not doing any wrong. You’re just being an agent; you’re just helping your clients do the dirty part of the job (such as running around courts and newspaper offices) and getting paid. How do you think travel agencies and hotel booking firms started? Simple: save people stress, supply for their ignorance and get paid. That’s it! Think. Think. Think. Deliver services and get paid.
- Internet things: Whoever doesn’t know that everything is gone online is in trouble! The internet economy is proving to be the new something else. The opportunities are crazy. All you have to do is come up with a package or key into an existing package. Look up “digital marketing” and find that while many people are burning time on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, and other social media platforms, others are becoming millionaires on those same platforms – daily!
- Monetize Your Talent: Truth be told, talent is not enough. It has never been enough. However, it begins from there. And let’s not complicate this talent conversation, as talent is simply that which seems to come natural to you; you really don’t get to make so much effort – like others would – to pull the stunts. For some it is singing, for others it is acting, for some others it is speaking. It could be comedy, dancing, motivating; it could just be about anything. The sad truth is that many people take their talent for granted, opting for the hell of picking up other skills from scratch. Mind you, in our own time there is no one talent area that isn’t a multi-billion dollar industry already. Check out the lives of AY and Basket Mouth (comedians), Nkem Owoh and Pete Edochie (actors), TuFace and P-Square (musicians), Chimamanda Adichie (writing), Fela Durutoye (speaking), etc.
- Social entrepreneurship: I call this the business of NGO (non-governmental organization). Although technically called non-profit, you can be sure the people who play in that space don’t go home without their fair share of reward. And what is this profit, you may be asking? The profit I’m talking about can be found in this quote: “You will get everything you want if you help as many as possible people get what they want.” It is all about championing a cause you’re passionate about, a cause you believe in. It could be combating diseases, enlightening and empowering people. It could be anything, and all you need do is be consistent. Then you’d see… a new vista of opportunities will begin to open to you: people will begin to partner with you, donors will begin to sponsor/support you, society will begin to love you, those that matter will begin to gravitate towards you, you’ll begin to get fulfillment like never before, and your influence rating will begin to soar. Of course, your net worth will be good.