Ayaraya oka is a meal made mostly by Nsukka people of Enugu state in South Eastern Nigeria. It is made from a blend of local beans called Agbugbu with slightly ground maize (Zea mays) and vegetables. Agbugbu is an important source of protein in both urban and rural Nigeria.
this specie of beans is loaded with various types of nutrients. It is rich in fiber, protein, iron, potassium, low in fat and calories. A cup of Agbugbu is said to possess about 11.1 g fiber, 13.22 g protein, 4.29 mg iron, 475 mg potassium, 0.91 g fat and 198 calories. Along with that, various amino acids such as 0.612g of tryptophan, 0.41 g of histidine, 0.188 g of Methionine and 0.894 g of lysine is contained in this seed.
- Fresh Maize or dry maize( soaked in hot water over night)
- Palm oil,
- Vegetables ( Bitter leaf, Anara etc)
- Oil bean
- If you are using dry maize, boil water and pour inside the maize. The water must be boiling before you pour it into the maize or it won’t be as soft and fresh. Some people prefer boiling the dry maize for 10minutes or so. The disadvantage is that you may over cook it and once overcooked; it will be difficult to grind.
- Grind the maize moderately [not powdery].
- Cut bitter leaf, wash and boil for some minutes, bring it down and change the water – this is to reduce the bitterness.
- Hand pick stones from the Agbugbu, add to the boiling pot, boil the whole thing for long, then check to know if it is done. If so, reduce the water level below the Agbugbu and bitter leaf inside, and then add little oil.
- Add sieve or very flat basket
- Put the already sliced anara or ugu down the sieve or basket
- Carefully add the ground maize evenly into to the sieve, making sure that water inside it is small. if you are using fresh maize, cook it for as long as 30 minutes but if dry maize, cook for 15-20 minutes
- Check and if the maize is cooked, add green vegetable. Once you have done this, bring down the pot.
- Remove maize into bowel or plate.
- Pour bitter leaf -Agbugbu on sieve and squeeze water out.
Now that the maize and Agbugbu is done, you will make the sauce
- Get clean pot and fry oil for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and paper.
- Add water, oil bean, salt and stir, allow to boil for 3 minutes.
- Mix the maize, Agbugbu, bitter leaf and the sauce together with turn-garri stick
- Food is ready, serve!